Peter Navarro, a former Trump business adviser, has been charged with contempt of Congress

Placeholder when article actions are loaded

The judiciary announced Friday that Trump has been charged with two counts of criminal contempt of Congress for former White House official Peter Navarro after refusing to comply with the House committee sapona investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. The next week the public hearing aired on television.

Navarro, who was a business adviser to President Donald Trump, also revealed that he had received a large jury sapona as part of a judicial inquiry into the matter. A case he filed on Tuesday against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) And the bipartisan House Committee. Navarro, who filed the case on his own without a lawyer, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

According to the seven-page indictment, Navarro, 72, is accused of refusing to appear in a contempt case and another of refusing to submit documents to the committee. The allegations against Navarro, the second former Trump adviser facing criminal charges in connection with the committee’s rejection, reflect allegations made by the council and filed by U.S. prosecutors in November. Former White House adviser Stephen K. BananAfter he also refused to appear before the committee or submit documents.

The indictment was withdrawn Thursday and the seal was removed Friday, and Navarro is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia for the first time this afternoon.

Requesting records and testimony from a former business adviser who wrote and publicly discussed an attempt to devise a strategy to delay or change the certification of the 2020 election, Jan. 6 The Committee subpoenaed Navarro on 9 February.

With the panel’s public hearings set to begin on June 9, Navarro’s indictment is not required to give definitive conclusions to the panel’s final report before the November by – election. Contempt of Congress carries a criminal penalty and up to one year in prison, but it does not compel an individual to speak. Legal analysts said Congress could sue Navarro in civil contempt and try to force that decision, hoping he would be jailed until he cooperates.

In its sapona, the selection committee said it had reason to believe Navarro had information related to its investigation. Navarro, who has been an adviser to the president on various trade and production policies, has been an individual citizen since leaving the White House on January 20, 2021.

Trump adviser Peter Navarro published a book in which he published a plan to keep Trump in office. (Video: Monica Rodman, Sarah Hashimi / The Washington Post)

Steve Bonan was indicted after refusing to comply with the committee’s sapona on Jan. 6

Prosecutors allege that Navarro did not contact the group after receiving Sapona. The day after the February 23 deadline for documents, Navarro emailed the group’s reminder, “President Trump has administrative privileges in this matter … my hands are tied accordingly,” the indictment said. .

When the committee said that many topics did not raise administrative privilege concerns, Navarro responded on February 28 that the offer was “not mine to avoid” and that the committee should negotiate directly with Trump and his lawyers.

Both Navarro and Bannon were indicted by a large arbitral tribunal in Washington – a rare move by the judiciary to maximize the consequences of a controversy involving Congress over bringing criminal charges.

The department has not yet acted on congressional recommendations on allegations against Trump’s former chief executive Mark Meadows and communications chief Daniel Scovino Jr.

Lawmakers on the Jan. 6 committee have publicly and privately expressed frustration over the delay in Attorney General Merrick Garland’s decision-making process – especially in relation to Meadows, who voted for House contempt in December last year.

Friday’s decision is likely to refresh the consideration of political and legal mysteries over criminal contempt recommendations against some of the former president’s close associates. Lawmakers and investigators on the committee have come to see Meadows as a central figure in Trump’s months-long effort to change the election results, and have previously expressed concern that Carland’s delay could hamper their work.

However, unlike Bonan and Navarro, who left the White House before the 2020 election – Meadows and Scavino remained with Trump through the events of January 6, and strengthened their executive privileges until he stepped down shortly after President Biden took office later that month. Judicial policy.

Presidents generally sought to protect current and former aides from testifying before Congress, and the judiciary has refused to pursue criminal cases against current and former officials in recent history following congressional findings.

In 2008, for example, the Department rejected allegations against President George W. Bush’s CEO Joshua Bolton and former White House adviser Harriet Myers, who opposed saponies over the controversial forced resignations of U.S. lawyers during the couple’s tenure. In 2012, the department refused to pursue a defamation suit against Attorney General Eric Holder for refusing to change certain documents related to the Fast & Furious scandal, a shooting misconduct.

Banan, who pleaded not guilty, was not tried until mid-July.

Jan. Within the 6th Committee, key questions are under investigation

In a letter to the original Navarro Sapona, the chairman of the select committee, Rep. Penny G. Thomson (D-Miss.) Cited news reports that he had co-created and implemented a plan with former Trump business adviser Steve Bannon and others. Delay congressional certification and ultimately change the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.

The letter quoted Navarro’s latest book, in which he described what he called “The Green Bay Sweep”, which he described as “the last great opportunity to snatch an election stolen from the jaws of Democrat fraud.”

The Navarro report was published online, repeatedly saying that “many allegations of election fraud have been discredited.”

Navarro said in his case against Pelosi and the group he was instructed to testify before a large arbitral tribunal on June 2.[a]Ll documents related to Sapona dated February 9, 2022, including “he received from the board,” but not only that [former president] Trump and / or his adviser or representative. ”

“As shown in this summary, the administrative privilege exercised by President Trump is not mine or leaving Joe Biden,” Navarro reiterated in the case. “On the contrary, like the committee, the American lawyer has constitutional and procedural obligations to negotiate before I appear. [the grand jury] Not with me, but with President Trump and his lawyers, I am bound by privilege that this Grand Jury Sapona failed to comply with these negotiations and the guidance of President Trump.

In a court announcement Thursday, U.S. District Judge, Randolph D. Moss, in accordance with court rules, was appointed by DC Chief U.S. District Judge Perry A. The Grand Jury ordered Navarro to file any challenge to Sapona under the seal of Howell. Moss told Navarro to clarify the basis for any other claims, such as the legitimacy of the House Select Committee or the power to waive the executive privilege exercised by Piton’s predecessor.

Felicia Sonmez contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.