A dull and rainy morning subsided in time for a lively match between fierce local rivals Bridlington Town and Barton Town, also drawing a bumper crowd just short of the 300 limit.

The Seasiders looked the better team in the opening ten minutes, producing a lively attacking style, which paid dividends. Will Annan, just inside his own half, placed a perfectly timed pass down the right to Benn Lewis, whose low cross found Danny Earl in the box. The Barton defender did well to tackle Earl who looked in a prime shooting position, but his tackle was only cleared as far as Joe McFadyen, who show low into the right hand corner of the goal, sending the home team into the lead.

After taking the lead the hosts seemed to take their foot off the gas a little, giving their opposition more of the ball and, in turn, giving them a number of opportunities to equalise.

The remainder of the half went by without any major incidents or threats on goal, giving both managers time to consider their team talk during the interval.

After the break Barton looked a reenergised team, with a much more pressing style of football, though the referee wasn’t having any of the theatrics inside the box searching for a penalty.

It was Joe McFadyen who doubled the hosts lead, however, on the 62nd minute. Danny Earl lost a header down the left wing, but won the second ball and made a pacey run down the left, crossing neatly to a waiting McFadyen who’s thunderous header beat the keeper, putting the home team in firm control of the game.

Much to their credit Barton Town didn’t let their heads drop at all and, although the Seasiders had a number of attempts, all of which foiled by Barton keeper Charles Dixon, still looked very much in the game.

Their perseverance paid off just seven minutes later as Luke Anderson took the ball past Fraser Papprill on the left edge of the box, but Papprill’s challenge was badly timed, taking down Anderson and giving referee Lee Hodgkinson the easy decision to award the visitors a penalty.

Former Seasider Nathan Peat made no hesitation from the spot, sending James Hitchcock the wrong way and the ball high into the middle of the goal, though Hitchcock did almost manage to get it with his trailing leg.

This lead to a nervy final twenty for the hosts, but the Seasiders held on to the one goal advantage and saw out the remainder of the game.

Three Bridlington players stood out in the match, Papprill, Davidson, and McFadyen, but if a man of the match had to be picked it would have to go to McFadyen who produced two fine finishes, giving his side the points. A special mention has to go to Barton keeper Charles Dixon who produced a number of great saves, keeping his team well into the game.

Bridlington Town host Athersley Recreation on Saturday the 17th, with a 3pm kickoff.