Match Report

Bridlington Town found themselves at the top of the NCEL Premier Division after a fine victory over Eccleshill United on a warm Saturday afternoon.

Town started the match brightly, with Lewis Dennison causing the visitor’s defence trouble with his low crosses.

It looked like Town would take the early lead against the visitors when Josh Greening was fouled just outside the area. The resulting free kick, taken by Town captain Andy Norfolk, went narrowly wide of the keeper’s left post.

Another free kick, this time on the 16 minute mark, resulted in a spectacular goal, which put Town in the lead. Joe McFadyen stepped up to take a 30 yard free kick, which looked too far out to cause much danger to the keeper, but somehow the ball passed a string of Town and United players and bounced into the back of the net, though Fraser Papprill was adamant he got a glancing header to it.

With Town 1-0 up Eccleshill pushed further forward, but a strong defensive performance gave them few chances to break through.

United will feel let down by the referee after what looked like a clear-cut foul just outside the edge of Town’s box, but Matthew East waved away the protests.

Town’s Billy Logan almost doubled the home side’s lead after being fed into the box, but visiting keeper Bradley Emmerson managed to palm the shot wide and for a corner.

With the first half coming to its final five minutes it looked like United would be able to keep the rampant Seasiders at bay. Unfortunately for the visitors Josh Greening managed to slot the ball under Emmerson after a fantastic cross from Jack Bulless.

Second Half

Eccleshill started the second half much like Bridlington started the first. Their flowing attacks were unlucky to not be rewarded with a goal.

Josh Greening, though, came closest to extending Town’s lead, only to see his effort knocked away off the post from Dominic Staunton’s challenge.

Lewis Sugden nearly got a goal back for the visitors shortly after, but the in-form James Hitchcock managed to acrobatically palm the ball over his crossbar.

Eccleshill, just minutes later, came worryingly close to getting a goal back after substitute Christopher Lever found himself in space in the six yard box at the far post. Again, though, Hitchcock came to the Seasider’s rescue managing to dive at full stretch and punch the ball wide of the goal.

Town finished the scoring off on the 74th minute. A long ball hammered up the pitch from Hitchcock found Greening on the wing, he crossed the ball to Logan who, rather than taking the shot, like the United defence, and most of the crowd, expected, he teed up Chris Adams, who hit the ball with accuracy and power past a diving Emmerson.

Full Time

Town left the game worthy winners, but Eccleshill United were on great form themselves, just lacking that finishing touch in the final third.

Today’s match sponsors picked Stuart Oliver as the man of the match, though it must have been a tough call to make.

The visitor’s man of the match would certainly be Mohamed Kaba, whose strong defending was difficult for Town to break past.

Next Up

Next Saturday Bridlington face Handsworth at the Hudgel Solicitors Stadium, Kickoff as usual will be at 3pm.