Match Report

In Bridlington Town’s final home friendly of the pre-season they welcomed newly re-formed North Ferriby FC, born from the ashes of North Ferriby United. After a string of great results from Ferriby they provided Town an excellent challenge in the build up to the NCEL season.

First Half

North Ferriby started brightly, and made their presence felt to the Town defence. Within the first five minutes Ben Leyland produced a fine shot from a difficult angle which looked destined for the net, but went narrowly wide past a stretched James Hitchcock in the Town goal.

The first ten minutes of the game were end to end, with both sides doing well with their counter-attacking style.

Player-Manager Brett Agnew opened up the scoring, however, on the 13th minute. Somehow managing to stay on his feet at the edge of the box he slid a shot in, somehow managing to narrowly beat the fingertips of Jordan Douglas.

Town doubled their lead at the 27th minute, with another bottom-corner goal from Agnew. This time receiving the ball at the edge of the box from a smooth Lewis Dennison pass, turning on the spot, and firing home into the corner.

Second Half

With Town leading 2-0 the visitors made a number of changes, giving their growing squad vital game time ahead of the long season.

In a much quieter half than the first, Ferriby found themselves on the front foot, causing headaches for the town defence.

Matty Gargett will be wondering how he didn’t get himself on the score sheet after a floating Chris Adams free kick toward the 30 yard mark. The floating free kick evaded everyone but Adams at the back post, but perhaps not expecting to get anywhere near the ball his shot was weak and the Ferriby defence managed to get the ball clear.

Though the game was listed as a friendly there were scenes toward the middle of the second half which tempers began to flare and emotions boil, though it was pleasing to see players, from both teams, heavily invested in the game.

Town finished the scoring in the second half with a fine goal from Charlie Birley. After a long ball was blasted deep into the Ferriby half, flicked on by Agnew, the ball was then crossed smartly by Adams into the path of Birley, who slotted home a much deserved goal.

Full Time

Town leave the game as worthy victors after making their chances count. On another day some more luck would have gone Ferribys way, and it’s a shame the two teams will not meet in the league this season as it would be a very entertaining couple of games, though by today’s showing you can expect Ferriby to be up and about the top of their league by the time the season draws to a close.