Match Report

After last week’s 10-0 thrashing of Liversedge, Town looked to keep their brilliant run of form going against a strong Albion Sports side. Town made only one change to the team, after Jack Bulless pulled up injured in the warm up. Mike Thompson took his place in what would be an exciting and tense game of football, with both teams looking like they could win it.

First Half

Bridlington Town welcomed Albion Sports to the Hudgell Solicitors Stadium on a damp and chilly Saturday afternoon.

Both teams started strongly, and it didn’t take long for Albion to have the first real chance of the game. Lamin Janneh made a great run toward the Town defence, but was fouled in his attempt to pass them. The resulting free kick brushed the outside of the post, with half the ground thinking it was in.

Chris Adams found himself in a great position in the Albion box, and with only the keeper to beat his shot went narrowly wide.

Town continued to press forward but found it difficult to beat the Albion offside trap. Danny Norton looked to be through on goal, but a late decision by the linesman judged him to be offside.

Albion manager Kulwinder Sandhu was forced into an early change when Alex Laird went to ground holding his leg. Dillon Hollinger was the player to take his place with both teams still looking like they could win it.

Nathan Modest looked to be in a great position to open the scoring, but he couldn’t reach the lofted pass from Andy Norfolk.

On the 28th minute the deadlock was finally broken, with Town’s Chris Adams finding space down the left flank. His pass was met by Joe McFadyen, who slotted the ball under Albion’s George Clarke and putting Town in the lead.

Town almost doubled their lead when Andy Norfolk found space at the edge of the box, but his shot that looked to be heading for the top corner was brilliantly saved by the Albion keeper.

Second Half 1-0

Half time brought the second change to the game. Town’s Jake Day returning from a short injury spell to replace Town’s goalscorer Joe McFadyen.

It didn’t take long for Day to make his presence felt, when his fierce shot forced Albion’s keeper at full stretch to keep his powerful effort out.

A few minutes later Day would be given a fine chance to double Town’s lead. Dennison made another great run down the flank, passing two players on his way toward the Albion box. His cross was met by Day whose shot went high and wide of the goal.

Town were made to rue not doubling the lead as Albion made their pressure count. Lamin Janneh managed to turn the Town defence and scored, bringing Albion back level.

Albion made their second change of the game, with Alhassane Keita making way for Eddie Church.

Church’s game didn’t last long, when he made a crunching tackle on Town captain Norfolk just two minutes into his game. His foul lead to a scuffle involving almost all players on the pitch, and even some in the dugouts. The end result was a red card for Church, a yellow for keeper Tom Jackson, and even a yellow for the injured Andy Norfolk. With the flurry of cards being whipped out by the referee there’s a good chance there were more handed out!

Town made their advantage count not long after. Dennison again making a great run down the flank, his cross this time was low and dangerous, with players of both sides desperately trying to make contact. The ball managed to pass every player except Nathan Modest, whose 4ft slide made contact with the ball, and sending it rolling into the back of the net.

Chris Adams was again unlucky to not get onto the score sheet. His shot from 30 yards out hit the underside of the crossbar, bounced on the goal line, and was scrambled away.

Modest managed his third goal in two games shortly after. His shot from 30 yards beat the outstretched Clarke and landed perfectly into the bottom right corner of the goal.

With Town now dominating the match Albion tried to slow the tempo down a few notches. Their more controlled play helped give them a number of chances, but none of which could beat an on-form Jackson.

Adams finally managed to get himself on the score sheet for the second game in a row. His 15 yard shot found the back of the net after a great pass from Modest.

Full Time – 4-1

Full time brought to an end a great November of football for Town, winning 4 of 5 games, and a staggering 22 goals in the process. This month’s only loss coming to top of the league Yorkshire Amateur.