Match Report

After manager Curtis Woodhouse stepped down from his role as manager, coach Brett Agnew showed he is more than capable of leading this Brid team to success. A one-nil victory after extra time was well deserved, after the best performance from a Town side I’ve seen in some time.

First Half

Consett got off to a great start against a Brid team still looking to settle. Some early pressure was almost rewarded when Consett’s Michael Sweet unleashed a shot, unfortunately for the visitors it sailed well over the bar.

Lewis Dennison, back in his right-back position this week, produced many pacey runs up the field and was unlucky to not get onto the score sheet. Consett’s keeper, Kyle Hayes, put in an exceptional performance, as did his Town counterpart Tom Jackson, with neither keeper looking likely to be beaten unless it was something quite special.

As the Consett pressure died down towards the middle of the first half Town finally began to show signs of life. A great control on the ball from Dennison was lofted high up the pitch, but as the ball was cleared away Consett’s Matthew Slocombe put in a tackle, catching him in the side of the knee, which saw Dennison down injured and Slocombe into the referee’s book with a yellow card.

Lewis Dennison Bridlington Town AFC Consett
Lewis Dennison receives a boot to the side of the knee.

Luke Carr unleashed a fine shot at Tom Jackson but again Jackson was on form and produced yet another great save.

Consett came close to opening the scoring as Michael Sweet was put through on goal. His shot, which was curled around Jackson from 10 yards out went narrowly wide and safely out for a goal kick.

Bridlington Town v Consett
The Seasiders have a goal disallowed.

Jake Day, looking for his first goal of the season, was beginning to show the form he was known for last season, with a number of shots either narrowly wide or producing good saves or great defending from the visitors.

Second Half

The second half brought to life the quiet Town fans, with familiar sounds of “Sea Sea Seasiders” and “Jakey Jakey Day” being met with chants, drums, and one very loud bell, from visiting fans, with both sets desperate to edge their team closer to victory, in a game which looked like it only had one goal in it.

Jack Griffin and Chris Jenkinson both put in strong performances for Town, with Consett looking to extend their unbeaten start to the season.

Consett captain Daniel Craggs found himself with plenty of time to aim a header in the box, but somehow managed to head just wide of the box, with the goal at his mercy.

Town brought in new player Myles Lawman in for James Faulkner to try to add a little pace to their attack, with the move nearly paying off as Lawman easily outpaced a tiring Consett defence a number of times during the final third of the game.

Jake Day edged closer to his first goal after receiving the ball at the edge of the box. His shot, which left Hayes stranded, was narrowly wide of the top corner.

Fraser Papprill was unlucky to not to free up Jake Day in the area after making a run with the ball from the half way line, turning town Consett players on his way. His attempted cross was blocked by the Consett defence and out for a Town corner.

With only a few minutes of normal time left on the clock Calvin Smith came close to sending his team through to the next round. The sound of the ball hitting the post out-rang the sound of one Consett supporter’s bell as the ball rebounded into a goalmouth scramble. The ball was eventually cleared and into safety.

End of 90 Minutes

The referee called and end to the normal 90 minutes, giving both sides time for a quick breather before 30 more minutes of extra time would be played.

Bridlington Town v Consett Jake Day Goal
Jake Day’s 92nd minute goal sends Town into the next round.

It didn’t take long into the first half of extra time for Jake Day to finally get back to his goalscoring ways. Receiving a ball that looked to be heading out for a goal kick, Day worked his magic and managed to keep the ball in, turning the Consett defender in the process. He then worked himself into some space by the 6 yard box and let out an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner of the goal, sending the majority of the 329 in attendance into deafening celebrations.

Bridlington Town v Consett
Bridlington Town players celebrate Jake Day’s goal.

Town had the lead and were made to work hard to keep it. Consett began to look more threatening now there was nothing left to lose. Town’s defensive worries were increased when Mike Thompson received a red card for an alleged elbow. The referee didn’t see the event, ‘nor did almost any of the supporters from either team, but the referee, after long discussions with the linesman, sent Thompson off with just minutes remaining on the clock.

The last corner of the game had Consett’s keeper up, but it was Ryan McKinnon that gave the home fans a fright. A shot from a very narrow angle appeared to have gone in, but thankfully had only hit the side netting.

Full Time

Referee Gareth Myers called to an end a very even and well contested game. Bridlington made it through to the next round despite tough opposition against one of the FA Vase favourites, and got Brett Agnew’s caretaker reign off to a fantastic start. If the performances and results continue then it’ll be tough to not give him the job full time. Agnew managed to bring out the best in a lot of Town’s players and will not have harmed his chances.