Match Report

Hull United recorded their first league win of the season with a rampant win over North Ferriby Athletic.

Ten days had passed since their own heavy defeat at current champions Chalk Lane, but after an excellent response in training since, United carried their efforts in training, into the game and were excellent value for the win.

They were dealt a blow in the preparation to this game, as a last minute change saw them having to change goalkeeper.

Rich Googe, originally slated to start was injured during the warm-up so Luke Robbins deputised, and the young keeper deserved massive credit for his role in the win.

First Half

The first half was relatively even, at least in terms of chances and Luke Robbins, making his first appearance in goal made two fine saves whilst United, who showed excellent desire and determination throughout the afternoon maybe lacked the quality in the final third.

United took complete control though in the second half as headers from Ben Kinsley and Dan Nichols as well as a brace from substitute Dan Mowforth, including one with his first touch made the difference.

Robbins, replaced Rob Draper in goal, whilst Dan Nichols returned to the line-up to partner recent signing Mike Stansfield in defence and both were dominant in the air as a potential blossoming partnership showed promising signs.

David Brooke switched to right back, as Liam Taylor continues to be absent with a knee injury.

Ben Kinsley, did shake off a recent hamstring problem though as he started on the left, whilst Callum Staves also returned on the opposite flank replacing Tresor Ntombo-Kalilwa.

The main aspect of United’s display was built on hard work and determination and they didn’t allow North Ferriby Athletic to settle at any point.

Robbins in the United goal had to remain alert though, he kept out a dangerous cross which in a swirling wind forced the ball goalwards, smartly tipping over, and then later saving low down at his near post.

The hosts did threaten as an attacking threat in the first period, but they was undone at times by their own over-willingness to force the opening goal.

Callum Staves pace caused Ferriby problems and when he got in behind the defence he delayed playing in Sam O’Malley with the target man taking up a good position in the penalty area.

O’Malley later had a penalty shout waved away as skipper Lewis Poucher and Tom Kerins in midfield began to over-run their counterparts in midfield.

All that United’s first half display lacked, was the opening goal to reward their hard-work, and Shane Hill bravely continued after suffering a leg injury minutes before the end of the first half, something which depicted United’s performance.

Second Half

Their best chance of the afternoon came shortly after the break.

The ball found its way to skipper Lewis Poucher who from fully 25 yards rattled the crossbar with a dream strike which deserved a goal, and Kinsley failed to convert the rebound, heading over from close range.

Hull United didn’t have to wait long though after the restart to open their account.

The returning Kinsley, marked his return with an uncommon headed goal, converting well as he guided home a placed header into the bottom left corner, from around the penalty spot.

From this point John Duffill’s side didn’t look back and inflicted further misery on their opponents, who already boast a victory over Chalk Lane.

Dan Mowforth was introduced for O’Malley who as a lone-striker had grafted well throughout the afternoon.

Mowforth was on hand with his first touch to double his team’s lead, again a headed goal with some excellent build up play.

Later changes saw Scott Freeman introduced for Kerins whilst August’s Player of the Month Josh Dennett was also introduced.

Playing further forward from his usual right back role, Dennett was also unfortunate not to score his first senior goal for the club.

His stunning effort which was destined for the top near corner, forced a fine save from the Ferriby keeper.

With a desire to keep a clean sheet and deny Ferriby any sniff of goal, United wrapped up the points in the final ten minutes.

A third headed goal was added, this time by centre-back Dan Nichols, who completed another impressive display from the dual registered North Ferriby United man with seven minutes to play, before Mowforth finished superbly after breaking clear of the defence, curling into the top corner as the clock ticked past the ninety minute mark.

A further reminder of how quickly things can change in football, and a display United boss John Duffill and his coaching team will want to take into away trips against high-flying Beverley Town and early leaders Pocklington Town in their next two games.

Hull United: 1. Luke Robbins, 2. David Brooke, 3. Paul Goldie, 4. Tom Kerins (Scott Freeman), 5. Mike Stansfield, 6. Dan Nichols, 7. Callum Staves (Josh Dennett), 8. Lewis Poucher (captain), 9. Sam O’Malley (Daniel Mowforth), 10. Shane Hill, 11. Ben Kinsley

Unused Substitutes: Ben Elliott, Rich Googe (GK)

Man of the match: Luke Robbins

In a close call between the winner and United’s two centre-backs in particular, who won everything all afternoon, Luke took his opportunity well and stepped in at the last minute following an unfortunate injury to Rich Googe.

Luke made two fine saves in the first half with the scoreline level and has staked his claim for the goalkeeper jersey with a steady display.

Match Report by Neil Winsor