Match Report

Hull United maintained their unbeaten start to their pre-season campaign with a hard fought victory over Lincolnshire League side Immingham Town.

First half strikes by Tresor Ntombo Kalilwa and Daniel Mowforth put the Citizens seemingly in complete control, but they were pegged back by two quickfire Immingham scores after failing to put the game to bed by missing a number of great chances.

Despite United substitute Callum Staves missing a second half penalty, Mowforth popped up though with barely minutes remaining to complete a largely positive run-out.

Hull United started with three 16 year old’s helping to make up a squad of fourteen, with young Joe Keenan pulling off two excellent saves.

In an even first 20 minutes, one of those youngsters Josh Dennett was forced off with a hamstring injury, and as precaution was not risked any further.

The opening exchanges were even, Shane Hill, returning from injury which ruled him out of the entirety of the last campaign, had an effort tipped over from close range for United from a low Ben Kinsley corner, whilst Liam Taylor snuffed out a dangerous opportunity at the other end.

Hull United did take the lead though on 15 minutes.

A superb diagonal ball found Kinsley on the left flank and his driven shot was only palmed into the path of Kalilwa who showed predatory instincts to be in the right place to tap home from close range.

The visitors had further chances and after some neat play by Hill, Lewis Poucher fired wide.

With half an hour played The Citizens were comfortable, David Brooke at centre half was solid and won a number of vital headers whilst Paul Goldie was on hand to clear a header whilst stood at the post.

Poucher and Kinsley linked up nicely on a number of occasions and assisted by Scott Freeman and Shane Hill in midfield, bossed much of the play.

There was a brief period were a couple of sloppy defensive misdemeanors looked to undo all the excellent work and Keenan was alert to parry an angled effort away to safety.

Hull United doubled their lead though a minute before the break, as Daniel Mowforth’s strike from outside the area took a slight deflection on its way to nestling nicely into the corner of the net.

Second Half

United continued to carve out a number of chances in the second half, and a pin-point Kinsley cross was met by Staves on the penalty spot but his clever glancing header crept just wide of the far post, and then some improvisation by Freeman saw a shot fly wide.

Keenan was again called into action on 57 minutes, saving a stinging half volley and managing to keep hold of the ball also to end the threat.

The young stopper was beaten though a minute later, as Immingham were afforded too much time in the penalty area, converting a low cross from close range.

The goal gave Immingham hope, and they began to threaten more reguarly and forcing Hull United back into their own half.

It was the visitors though who missed a great chance to put the game to bed on 63 minutes.

The lively substitute Callum Staves, who was introduced during the break, was hauled down in the penalty area and as the referee waited to see if any potential advantage would come, this failed to materialise and he then pointed to the spot.

Staves stepped up, but his penalty was wayward and missed the right hand post with the keeper guessing correctly.

In a sweltering heat, a drinks break was called almost immediately after the penalty, and after the restart Staves when in a great position from another Kinsley cross, again failed to hit the target.

Hull United were duly punished for missing chances with nineteen minutes remaining when Immingham restored parity.

Another defensive lapse from a corner, saw a merciless free header leave Keenan with no chance from six yards.

With Immingham having played four games more then Hull United the hosts looked the more likely to nick a win, and their considerably more ‘game-time’, this began to show.

Admittedly though, Hull United got their second wind, dug in, and a great challenge denied Kinsley on his route to goal.

After Staves had another decent penalty appeal turned down in the dying minutes, United’s final opportunity resulted in them winning the game.

A drilled cross by Kinsley provided his second assist of the afternoon, as Mowforth was on hand to pounce from close range to nudge United back in front.

More brave defending sent a long range effort from the hosts spinning out for a corner, however there was barely time for the resulting kick to be taken as time was called on a largely positive afternoon for the Humber Premier League Premier Division newcomers.

Next Match

They face another tough test next Saturday though, when they meet current Humber Premier League champions Chalk Lane in their next friendly at Hull University (2pm)

Match Report credits: Neil Winsor