Troll Sentenced

After being charged in June, Daniel Kilvington, 23, of Spring Bank, Hull, has received his sentence.

Now, after appearing before the Magistrates court, Daniel has been found guilty of seven offences of sending malicious communications. Each of the offences were committed using social media. The legal term of this offence is to “send by public communication network an offensive/indecent/obscene/menacing/ message/matter”.

On Monday (4th December) Daniel was sentenced at Hull Magistrates Court to 18 weeks in custody. He also received an indefinite Criminal Behaviour Order, which prevents him from harassing people on social media. The Judge presiding this case called it a “very disturbing case”.

What Is Trolling?

Trolling is the act of posting inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments on the internet. The main purpose of which is to upset the recipient and get a response from them.

In most cases the person “trolling” will hide behind a face social media account, to try and disguise their identity.

Police Statement

PC Nicola Adamson of Humberside Police said:

We treat trolling as a serious offence which brings serious consequences.  Kilvington sent malicious messages to four strangers on social media with the sole intention of causing them upset and anger. The victims had suffered personal tragedy and he chose to target them for no discernible reason.

His actions made his victims lives misery and made already difficult situation worse. I hope he is truly disgusted with himself. This case and sentence should serve as a warning to other people that if they commit such offences they face not only arrest but imprisonment.

What to do if you are a victim?

The best way to stop someone online trying to “troll” you is to ignore them. Their main aim is to get a reaction out of you. If you receive ongoing harassment from the troll then try to keep a log of the messages, especially those coming from someone’s personal account.

Once you’ve built up your log of incidents then contact Humberside Police, either through 101 or at a station. Be sure to show them all the evidence you have.