A Game Of Two Halves

We apologise for the lack of coverage for the past few games, a few technical hiccups left us unable to attend the past two home games. But we’re back where we enjoy spending our Saturday afternoons (and some Tuesday evenings), at the Hudgell Solicitors Stadium.

A wintery Saturday afternoon was made all the warmer with a much needed win for Brid Town.

The usual pre-match rituals of perusing the always entertaining Seasiders Review (at a bargain £1.50) with a nice cup of something warm were much needed as the teams warmed up on the pitch. It was certainly hat and scarf weather for those that remembered them, unfortunately in the rush to get there we forgot ours! Luckily the match was lively enough to keep us warm.

First Half

A quiet first 10 minutes to the first half, with both teams trying to find weaknesses in the opposition’s defences, and not finding any. Staveley spent most of the first half hoofing the ball up towards Phil Dobson, the Brid keeper.

It was Brid that came closest to breaking the deadlock, when Bret Agnew charged down the Staveley defender’s back-pass to the keeper. He managed to get in the way of the clearance and was through on goal, only to be denied by a scrambling goalkeeper.

The game quietened down for a while but again Agnew charged through after a neat pass from one of the Brid wingers. The linesman, with a blazing sun glaring in his eyes called it offside, but the 150 or so Brid supporters, and of course myself, didn’t agree.

It was then Joel Sutton that came close to breaking the deadlock after being put through on goal, only to have his weak shot stopped by the oncoming Staveley keeper.

The game was delayed for around 5 minutes as the Staveley player couldn’t quite decide where to take a throw-in from. The ref seemed to want to open a conversation about where best to take the throw-in from, but seemed to come to his senses when hearing Curtis Woodhouse, the Brid manager, shouting to not “make the game about him”.

As the first half drew to a close it was again Brid that came closest to scoring. Danny Buttle’s header at the back post coming off the top of the bar and out for a goal kick.

Into the Seasiders Bar for a much needed warm up (the heating in there felt amazing after a cold 45 minutes) and a cheeky drink was on the cards while the players got their orders from the gaffer.

Second Half

Bridlington Town started the game lively. We’re still trying to work out what Curtis told the team at the interval, or what was in their drinks, but they showed more effort in the opening few minutes of the second half than the entire first half.

The fast, attacking, style to the opening minutes of the second half were rewarded as Danny Buttle slotted past the keeper to put Brid ahead.

Less than five minutes later Agnew thought he’d made it two nil when the ball rebounded towards him off the post, only for the linesman to call him offside.

His perseverance was finally rewarded on the 55th minute, when Agnew finally got his goal and put Brid 2-0 up against Staveley.

Bridlington Town were still on the attack even while 2-0 up, but a clever counter-attack by Staveley was rewarded with a corner and gave them hope of getting back into the game.

The scoreline came worryingly close to being 2-1 after a Staveley player’s shot was headed off the line by Andy Norfolk.

A bit of confusion lead to Staveley taking a throw-in that was awarded to the Seasiders, and after protest from Lewis Dennison he was shown the yellow card.

To steady the boat, Woodhouse made his three substitutions within five minutes play, taking Agnew, Buttle, and Davidson off for Bowsley, Smith, and Day respectively.

The game looked like it was going to play out quietly, however Staveley’s number 12 had different ideas. After elbowing Norfolk in the ribs off the ball the referee made the correct call of sending him to the dressing room with a red card.

Full Time 2 – 0

The referee blew the final whistle and the players made there way off the pitch, clapped appreciatively by both sets of fans, and it was time for us to head away until the 2nd of December when Bridlington Town are back at home to face Worksop Town.

A very enjoyable afternoon for the Brid Town fans, and fans in the standing end of the main stand were in fine form today. Some songs we, unfortunately, cannot reproduce on here were definitely entertaining (a certain song about Bridlington being Wonderful comes to mind!).

A reported attendance of 150 enjoyed a great game, and three well-deserved points. We hope to see this number rise in the coming weeks!

Scores From The League

We’ve also included this week a list of today’s results from around the Toolstation Northern Counties East Football League (Premier Division):

AFC Mansfield 2 – 2 Rainworth Miners Welfare
Bottesford Town 0 – 4 Pickering Town
Bridlington Town 2 – 0 Staveley Miners Welfare
Hall Road Rangers 1 – 5 Athersley Recreational
Handsworth Parramore 3 – 0 Garforth Town
Harrogate Railway Athletic 5 – 2 Clipstone
Hemsworth Miners Welfare 3 – 2 Maltby Main
Liversedge 2 – 4 Pontefract Collieries
Parkgate 0 – 6 Thackley
Penistone Church 4 – 2 Albion Sports